Petition e-394 – E-petitions
This petition will be closed for signatures : September 30, 2016, at 4:15 p.m. (EDT)
SPONSOR – James Bezan
Petition to the House of Commons
- Prior to Canada’s 2015 general election, all parties in the House of Commons unanimously promised to support legislation modeled on the Magnitsky Act, which seeks to freeze assets and ban Russian human-rights violators from entering Canada;
- A similar sanctions list has already passed in the U.S. Congress and the European Parliament;
- A Canadian version of the legislation, Bill C-267 -The Justice for Victims of Corrupt Foreign Officials Act (Sergei Magnitsky Law), has been introduced in the Canadian House of Commons;
- Blocking the proposed Sergei Magnitsky Law would send the international community a signal that we are abandoning our Canadian principles and convictions by rewarding Russian human-rights abusers and corrupt officials;
- Canadians do not wish to have foreign human-rights violators use Canada as a safe haven by abusing our banks, businesses, and visa system;
- Canadians expect their Members of Parliament to support and never surrender the core values that all Canadians share – democracy, the rule of law, and basic human rights.
We, the undersigned, citizens of Canada, call upon the House of Commons to pass Bill C-267, the Justice for Victims of Corrupt Foreign Officials Act (Sergei Magnitsky Law), to provide for the taking of restrictive measures in respect of foreign nationals responsible for gross violations of internationally recognized human rights, thereby joining our international partners who have taken similar action in the U.S. Congress and European Parliament.